Wednesday, October 4, 2017
Wednesday, September 20, 2017
Wow, Almost a whole year has slipped by since I posted anything. So, not to bore you with the reasons why I have been so remiss in keeping this updated, I will instead show off a few pots that came out of a very special firing that I took part in at the beginning of September. The Alberta Potters Association organized a pottery retreat to fire Robin Dupont's train kiln, but Mother Nature had other ideas. For most of the summer, it appeared as though British Columbia was all on fire and as bad luck would have it, Robin lives smack dab in the middle of the Kootenays where a lot of the fires were located. That didn't stop us though. Plans were changed, and we fired his soda kiln twice instead. I had made a very large quantity of pots in anticipation of the wood firing (over 6 cubic feet of work), but in the end, I probably got 1/3rd of that volume fired. Still, not a bad haul. These are a few of the pots that came out of the first load. To get these very matte blacks and smoky greys, the kiln was reduction cooled to develop more depth of surface etc. I'll have more pictures when I get around to shooting them.
Tuesday, October 18, 2016
Wednesday, August 10, 2016
This picture is of one of my favorites from the soda kiln we fired at Medalta and it does not even come close to its amazingness in real life.
Wednesday, July 27, 2016
I was recently down in Medicine Hat for a 10 day atmospheric firing workshop with Robin Dupont. The goal of the workshop was to fire the salt, the soda and the wood kiln in those 10 days as well as make enough work (on top of what we initially brought with us) to fill them. I left Calgary at about 2:30 pm after picking up one last box of clay. The trip was fairly uneventful, except for the dramatic prairie storm that was on the horizon. I was driving straight towards this huge, towering wall of storm cloud for about an hour and a half before I actually caught up to it, and then the highway veered off to the south and I essentially skirted the storm for most of the way, although I did get a bit wet. This shot is an attempt to capture the electric yellow canola fields against the stormy black backdrop.
Wednesday, June 29, 2016
I ordered this a while ago and it arrived at Ceramics Canada yesterday. It is a gas conversion kit that will turn a 10cu.ft electric kiln body into a propane fired kiln with the goal of firing it in either a soda or salt atmosphere. I'm guessing soda will be the end choice as salt pretty much melts soft fire brick, but I might opt to prepare the bricks with a refractory coating like ITC 100 and that should effectively prevent salt eating away the bricks.
Thursday, June 16, 2016
I used to make fancy teapots. This was back when the studio had a 40 cu.ft. gas kiln where size was not as much of an issue as firing in a 10 cu.ft. electric kiln. When we moved studios and changed how we fire, I stopped making these whimsical pots. Now I am booked for a 10 day atmospheric firing workshop at Medalta in July and that was the perfect opportunity for me to bust out the ^10 clay and make these forms again. I am, hopefully, a better potter than I was 8 years ago and I have been far enough removed from the form for a while now that it is almost new for me and I hope I am making better decisions regarding the assembly and perhaps not as constrained by what I thought I knew, or what I thought was "the right way" to do things. So there may be a lot more whimsy to come...